Want to take time away but you’re under a time constraint? Here are a few places you can go for the day or longer that are nice for vacations or a day trip and won’t interfere with that dreadful time limit.
- Brazeau Reservoir – Located 55km South-West of Drayton Valley, Brazeau Reservoir is a great place to spend a nice spring or summer day. With boat launches and fish cleaning stations, it’s a great place to catch Trout, Char, Grayling and Whitefish. There are day use picnic tables, fire pits, and a sandy beach area if you’d like to enjoy your day from the shore. Just off site you will also find many trails to take out your quads or side-by-sides! On site you will also find water pumps, dry toilets, and fire wood for sale. The campground is equipped with many well treed camp sites if you choose to stay the night or the weekend, but this area is close enough to the Town of Drayton Valley to make a perfect day trip.
- Pembina River Provincial Park & Tubing – This is another great option to get outside for the day, without having to go too far! Only 43km North of Drayton Valley, you will find the Pembina Rover Provincial Park with day use area, as well as Pembina River Tubing! The day use area of the park is nestled into a beautiful section of the river and includes vault toilets, fire pits, for sale firewood, sheltered cooking stations, and a playground. You can also take advantage of Pembina River Tubing which offers tube rentals and a shuttle service! Your river float ends at the day use area of Pembina River Park, which ties together a well-rounded day trip full of fun!
- Em Te Town – If you want to switch things up a little and get a feel for the old west, Em Tee Town is located just over 55km South of Drayton Valley down Highway 22, and West of Alder Flats. While you enjoy relaxed life of the old West, you can partake in many activities such as quad riding, fishing in the creek or trout pond, or hunting. You can also enjoy meals and refreshments at the Drifters Diner and the Hog’s Breath Saloon! If you need to book a venue in the area for a special event, this may be a place you’d be interested in considering. They even utilize a horse and buggy for wedding days!
With their wide range of accommodation options and plentiful list of activities, this facility would make better as a longer stay, but is an interesting, beautiful, and unique location to go check out for the day!
- Seba Beach – Approximately 60km North East of Drayton Valley you will find the Summer Village of Seba Beach. This is a lake front community, full of friendly people. The public beach area is equipped with a playground and sits between 2 public docks. If you are looking for a place to spend August Long Weekend, Seba Beach puts on an impressive fireworks display as well as a small parade. Seba Beach also offers curling, camping, and year round fishing. They offer mini golf, a driving range, a museum, a library with public internet access, a post office, a general store which boasts ice cream and fireworks, as well as a farmers market in May & September. Though you can choose to stay overnight camping, long term in a vacation rental, or year round as a resident, Seba Beach is another great location to spend a beautiful day outside!
- West Edmonton Mall – For those rainy days or any day you’d like to spend indoors, you can visit North America’s largest shopping Mall – West Edmonton Mall. Located in West Edmonton, approximately 135km away, you can visit West Ed for a day! Granted, you would need more than one day for the full West Ed experience, you can choose to spend a day enjoying one of the many activities that West Ed offers. You can enjoy a day at the World Waterpark, the second largest indoor waterpark in the world. Perhaps, you prefer a little more of a thrill and would enjoy a day spent at Galaxyland, the world’s largest indoor amusement park equipped with the largest indoor rollercoaster! You may also enjoy our day spent skating at the Ice Palace, bowling, billiards, or playing arcade games at Ed’s Rec Room, climbing aboard the Santa Maria, or getting up close and personal with Marine Life. You may also choose to spend a day shopping West Ed’s 800+ retail stores, dining at one of their countless restaurants, or catching a movie at one of their theatres, including an IMAX! Whatever you choose to spend your day doing at West Ed, you are guaranteed to have the opportunity to make many more day trips to West Ed, without ever having to do the same thing twice!
Tell us which of these day trips you would like to make & which are your favourites that aren’t listed in the comments below!
– Kristina Hulkovich